Toggle Nav
fast delivery
Fast Delivery
With our own fleet.
fast delivery
Platinum
Trusted Service Award
fast delivery
Free Click and Collect
Click and collect from any of our stores.

Silent Killer - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning & Awareness


 

Commonly known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide poisoning takes the lives of around 50 people each year. It’s known as the silent killer due to its lack of smell and taste and can slowly poison for hours or even days without being noticed. However, not everyone is aware of the problem, and this is why we are raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Faulty central heating systems are the most common causes of carbon monoxide leaks along with gas cookers in the U.K., which is why you should always be aware of the dangers of poor maintenance and not having your boiler serviced by a registered engineer.

 

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas produced when carbon-based fuels like gas or oil don’t burn off completely. It has no colour, taste, or smell which means it’s extremely dangerous. When consumed into the lungs it essentially starves the body of oxygen. Even if a large amount isn’t consumed in one go, small amounts over a long period of time can cause brain damage.

 

Why Might Carbon Monoxide Leak?

Neglected maintenance of appliances and poor ventilation can be the cause of carbon monoxide. Flues, vents, and other ventilation devices need to be obstruction free and regularly checked for any irregularities. It goes without saying that regular servicing by a Gas Safe registered engineer should identify and reduce any future risk.

If you suspect that your appliance might be producing carbon monoxide, you should follow these steps immediately:

  • Switch off all appliances and open doors and windows to ventilate.
  • Get out of the property to get fresh air
  • Call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999, and an ambulance as you may not think you’ve been affected when there may be internal damage.

 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Gas Safe register describes 6 main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning to be aware of:

  1. Headaches
  2. Dizziness or tiredness
  3. Nausea/ sickness
  4. Breathlessness
  5. Collapsing
  6. Loss of consciousness

If you are experiencing any of these, get outside and call the emergency services mentioned above.

 

Prevention

Although Carbon Monoxide poisoning is very rare, it is extremely dangerous and anyone with any gas appliance or boiler in their home could be susceptible. Installing a carbon monoxide safety alarm is the best way to keep your family and pets safe. Mr Central Heating recommends the Google Nest smoke and CO detector. This carbon monoxide alarm has an industrial‐grade smoke sensor. It tests itself automatically and lasts for up to 10 years – available in wired and battery. It even tells you what’s wrong and can send an alert your phone.

Whilst a CO alarm is a great device for detecting CO leaks, it is not an alternative to having your boiler and heating system regularly maintained and should only be used as an addition. The only way to ensure your boiler is Gas Safe is to get it checked out by a Gas Safe Engineer and serviced regularly. Be a responsible homeowner and prevent any accidents by scheduling yours often.

 


Protect your home today.

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Battery

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Battery

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Battery (Pack of 4)

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Battery (Pack of 4)

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Wired

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Wired

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Wired (Pack of 4)

Google Nest Protect, 2nd Generation, Wired (Pack of 4)